If you have flown long haul flights then you know they aren’t a piece of cake. If you haven’t then you have most likely heard about them and dread them. Everyone’s definition of long haul is different. Some people feel anything over 3 hours is too much, while others go well beyond doing 12 plus hours. Either way here are some tips for surviving long haul flights.
1. Break Your Trip Up!- If the idea of sitting on a plane for hours on end doesn’t seem like your cup of tea, then do a layover. You can get off the plane, walk around, and grab some real food. If you have a long enough layover, take the opportunity to explore the city you are in.
2. Wear Comfortable Clothing! – Your going to be mostly sitting down for the majority of your flight, so you should be comfortable. Clothes that give you some mobility and are loose fitting are best.
3. Drink Water! – This is an in general flying tip, but on long haul flights even more important. Planes have such dry air and it is important to keep hydrated.
4. Have Your Carry-On Essentials! –There are certain things you may need while on the plane. Your music, iPad, or a pillow. Make sure you have whatever you may need. Here are some of my carry-on essentials.
5. Pick A Good Seat If You Can! – If you are really tall you may need an emergency exit or somewhere that has a little extra legroom. If you get up a lot, then your best bet is to get an aisle seat. If you want to get a better idea of the seat you are getting, check out the app Seat Guru.
6. Get Up And Walk Around! – Stretch your legs. Take a walk down the aisle or stand up. You will feel so much better.
7. Bring Compression Socks! – Besides standing up and moving around, you may also need some compression socks! These will help the blood flow better and not help your ankles to not swell up. It will help to avoid blood clots!
8. Moisturize Your Nostrils! – Since the plane has so much dry air, it can cause your nostrils to dry up. This is a great way for germs to enter your body and make you sick. To prevent this take a nasal spray with you.
9. Entertain Yourself!- Watch a movie on the inflight entertainment system. Watch some movies on your iPad. Listen to some music. This is also a great time to read that book you have been wanting to get around to.
10. Take A Sleep-Aid!- If you are looking to fall asleep, but know you won’t be able to this is a great option. I suggest melatonin since your body can naturally produces this. Then you can get your beauty rest and sleep away all if not part of your flight.
11. Bring Snacks!- You may see flight attendants walking around with some $4 M&Ms or tiny packets of pretzels. Bring your own favorite snacks. You can munch whenever you want and eat what you want. Just make sure if you are bringing and not buying at the airport that you are in line with the TSA (yup there is an app for that) rules.
Hopefully these tips will help you survive your next long haul flight!
Do you have any tips on surviving long haul flights?