Living or even visiting Los Angeles, a lot of people like to go on hikes. There are so many places to hike, you may not even know where to start. The most popular hiking trail is Runyon Canyon. Many hikes offer you the reward of great city views. Sometimes if the smog isn’t too heavy, some even offer ocean views. Hiking in Eaton Canyon, you have the opportunity of seeing a waterfall at the end of your hike.
Eaton Canyon is in Pasadena. It isn’t too far from the San Fernando Valley, Hollywood, or Downtown LA. The drive is nice and fairly quick. Once you get there you will find ample free parking. The hike is 4 miles round trip if you head to the waterfall. There are other trails that can be taken.
As you walk, you have the choice of going on different trails , but my friends and I always head to the waterfall, so we go under the bridge. Heading to the falls is a little obstacle course, but if kids and dogs can do it, you can too. You go across streams and rocks. There are also many different pathways. There isn’t much climbing, it is mostly walking, stepping on rocks, or taking big steps up or down.
After walking through the streams you will discover the waterfall. The water is really cold. There are a bunch of rocks to sit on. Usually my friends and I will bring a snack. After all that walking a little fuel is necessary for the hike back to the car. Some people will run into the water and stand in the waterfall. I have even seen people propel down the rocks down the waterfall. There are tons of opportunities for great pictures during the walk and at the falls!
Here are a few things you should know before going:
1. Go early! The later in the day you go the more people will be there. Going across the streams could take longer if you are waiting for people in front of you to cross. Also the waterfall area could be overcrowded.
2. Wear water shoes. People laughed when I wore mine, till they realized it was a good idea. If I don’t want to balance on rocks, I can just step in the nice cool water while crossing the streams. Plus I didn’t have to worry about getting socks or sneakers wet. Also when you go to the waterfall there are a lot of rocks in the water.
3. Bring water and snacks. Your going to need it. It gets really hot in the mountains. Although there are trees, there are also a lot of areas where the sun beams on you. Having a snack by the waterfall is really nice too and a great refuel.
4. Of course, bring a camera. There are so many photo opportunities. So much so that I have seen people who hiked all that way to do photo shoots.
5. The best time to go is during the winter/spring. Typically it rains more during these times. The more it has rain the more water there will be in the waterfall. I have gone when there was barely any water coming down the waterfall and when there was an abundance. You will also notice when it doesn’t rain as much or at all the streams will be pretty dry too.
6. If you are going to do other trails or go rock climbing and not go to the waterfall be very careful. They have been closing down different areas because people have gotten hurt or died. I have seen a lot of rescue helicopters flying around looking for people while I am on my safe hike to the waterfall. I have also talked to others hiking saying they were stuck in the mountains with no food or water.
So next time you decide to go on a hike, try Eaton Canyon Falls in Pasadena! It is a great experience!
Have you ever been to Eaton Canyon? How was your experience?